A slightly modified recipe for Pfeffernüsse. The modification is that I added a little more pepper so the taste is more characteristic.
In the picture not yet sugared and hard. However, I frost it just before Christmas and it will be covered in full
- 2 ¼ cup (315 g) of flour
- ½ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon of ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cloves
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup (113 g) butter at room temperature
- ¾ cup (131 g) of brown sugar
- ¼ cup of honey
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp vanilla sugar
Preheat the oven to 180 ° C. Line the baking sheets with baking paper.
In a medium bowl, mix flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, allspice, cloves and pepper.
In a large bowl, mix butter, brown sugar and honey until creamy and light. Add egg and vanilla, beat. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
Stir in the dry ingredients. Transfer to a bag and put in the fridge overnight.
Use about 1 tablespoon for each cake, roll the dough into balls and place on prepared sheets, leaving spaces.
Bake until golden, about 14 minutes.
And now two versions:
- Let it cool slightly on a baking tray (about 5 minutes), then coat it with powdered sugar and let it cool down
- cool, hide in a box, and fully cover with icing before Christmas (my method)
Try it! You can add more pepper if you want.