Here is a recipe for a healthy home-made vegetable soup that is full of vegetables, kale and quinoa.
It is easy to make, so you will definitely succeed!
This soup is great for consuming leftovers. It’s gluten-free and vegan , as long as you use vegetable broth. The recipe gives 6 servings of soup. Or more smaller ones.
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- chopped seasonal vegetables: zucchini (1 pc), patison (1 pc), 1 pc red pepper (you can replace or add others, i.e. sweet potato, pumpkin)
- 2 garlic cloves, squeezed or finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed (use less for a less thick soup)
- 4 cups of vegetable or meat broth
- 2 glasses of water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- a pinch of red pepper flakes
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can of white beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped fresh kale or cabbage with the hard parts removed
Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add chopped onion, sauté for a while and add the carrots, celery , seasonal vegetables and a pinch of salt. Cook for about 8 minutes, but stir frequently.
Add garlic and oregano. Stir and cook for about a minute. Add tomato and bring to boil.
You can now add quinoa, broth, and water. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Season with black pepper generously. Bring everything to the boil, then partially cover the pot and reduce the heat to gently stew.
Cook for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the beans and chopped vegetables. Continue simmering for 5 minutes.
Taste and season with salt and pepper. You can add a teaspoon of tomato paste for a redder color.
Enjoy your meal!